Senior Footballers account for Fethard

Shelmalier senior footballers returned to winning ways with a comprehensive 1-10 to 0-8 victory over Fethard played in New Ross on Saturday evening.

The Shelmaliers started slowly with Fethard playing with the assistance of the wind controlled the early part of the game, however, a storming run up field by Simon Donohoe resulted in the Shelmaliers first score. The Shelmaliers came more into the game as it progressed but they were guilty of a number of wides. Arnie Murphy scored his team’s second point when been put through by Stephen Banville and a great run by Glen Malone deep into the Fethard half saw Colin Cleary fire to the roof of the Fethard net and the same player added two further points shortly afterwards, giving the Shelmaliers the lead which they never surrendered for the rest of the game. After an early second half comeback by Fethard the Shelmaliers took control of the game as the half progressed. Second half points from James Gordon, Barry O Connor, Derek Walsh and Graham Staples saw the Shelmalier comfortably through and qualification for the quarter final of the competition.
Gorey lead by county hurling star Conor McDonald were too strong for the Shelmaliers side in the second round of the under 21 hurling championship played in Gorey on Tuesday night last. A good second half recovery by the black and amber side resulted in a final score line of Shelmaliers 2-9 Gorey 3-12. Despite great efforts by the Shelmalier backs Gorey took the early initiative leading by 1-3 before Conor Hearne fired over his side’s first point in the 11th minute. The Shelmalier forwards had a number of scoring opportunities cleared before Liam Rockett got his sides second point in the 18th minute and Simon Donohoe added another point shortly afterwards. The Shelmaliers preformed much better on the restart with points from Shane Neville Conor Hearne and Jody Donohoe point and a great Liam Rockett goal. A Kyle Roche goal in the 25th minute of the second half ensured an exciting closing few minutes, however, Gorey held out to win on a final score line of 3-12 to 2-9. Many of the same players returned to Gorey the following night (Wed) when the Shelmalier minor hurlers took in the Gorey in the minor championship and after an exciting contest the home team won by the narrowest of margins 3-11 to 3-10.  This was a game that the Shelmaliers dominated in the first half lead by 3-7 to 2-6 at half time with Niall Hearne and Conor Hearne getting the goals for the visitors. Gorey came into the game on the resumption, however, great defending by goalie Adam Howlin and backs Aaron O Neill and Mark Power kept the Gorey forwards at bay for long periods. Conor Hearne got his second goal and a total of 1-8 in total however, the black and amber side couldn’t prevent a narrow defeat.