Senior Hurlers lose to Harriers

A strong second half from Faythe Harriers seen them beat Shels 1-19 to 1-11.

Shelmaliers met Faythe Harriers in the 4th round of the senior hurling championship in Wexford Park Saturday last. Shels were forced to field Joe Kelly in goal after Brian Murphy failed a late fitness test, from injuries sustained in U21 game earlier in the week.  Shels got off to a great start scoring 1-3 inside the opening ten minutes courtesy of Ciaran O’Shaughnessy (0-1) and Conor Byrne (1-2, -1F). The goal coming after great work by Stephen Banville was finished by Byrne with a last minute flick to send it to the back of the net. Harriers stepped up their game and managed to get back in touch hitting 3 unanswered points and it could have been more only that Joe Kelly pulled off a great save on goal. Ciaran O’Shaughnessy steadied the ship with a great point to stem Harriers attack, but they again came back with 3 more minors. The two teams traded scores to the leave the teams level at half time.  Aidan Cash put O’Shaughnessy through whilst Conor Byrne converted a ’65. Half time score 1-7 to Shels -10 to Harriers. On the restart Shels looked tired and not really in the game. Harriers came out of the blocks all guns blazing and got three points before Brian Doyle and Conor Byrne (F) pulled two back for the over the water side. However it was Harriers in the driving seat from here on in as they amassed 1-5 whilst Shels only reply was a Conor Byrne ’65 after a 21 yard free had been saved by Harriers goal keeper. Harriers pushed on to victory with Brian Doyle getting a consolation point deep into injury time. Final score 1-19 to 1-11 in favour of the town team.

Team: Joe Kelly, Brian Malone, Aidan Murphy, Feargal Hynes, Aidan Cash, Clive Lawler-Ryan, Conor Walsh, Brian Doyle (0-2), Eoin Doyle, Alan Griffith, Ciaran O’Shaughnessy (0-4), Benny Barron, Chris McGrath, Stephen Banville, Conor Byrne (1-5, 2F,2’65).
Subs introduced. Noel Mythen, Stephen Corrigan, Tommy Barron.

Shels now need to win their last game of the group against Glynn/Barntown to be assured of progression to the final 8.