Seniors through to County Semi Final

mwdwShels senior team had to go to extra time again to beat Adamstown on a scoreline 1-8 to 1-6.

Against all the odds, and finishing with 14 men, the team fought the fight of their lives to progress to the semi final where they will meet Gusserane, next Saturday in Bellefield.

What a day, what a match – lack of discipline, what a decision!
Played in heavy rain and strong winds; after last weeks epic encounter, these teams locked horns as expected. Shels started with the strong wind in their back. Shels won a free which Aidan Murphy scored and Stephen Banville followed up with a good point from play. Paddy Whitty got Adamstown on the score board after Colm Tynan slipped. This all happened in the first 10 minutes but after that it was a battle supreme. With David and Eric Bradley hitting hard at mid-field and with Eric Bradley constantly carrying the ball from his backs to his forwards for the first half, Shels were not getting enough scores when having the advantage of the elements. However when Adamstown backs were turned over as they tried to clear the ball, Colin Redmond was put through and he gave a great pass to Aidan Murphy who finished superbly to the net. As the rain was incessant, both teams only managed one more point each before half time to leave the score at 1-3 to 0-2.
At half time, Shels introduced Garret Dunne for Colin Redmond. Adamstown came out knowing Shels had not scored enough. Very quickly David Bradley scored a long-range point from out near the wing to leave the score at 1-3 to 0-3. But with Ibar Murphy and Garret Dunne matching the Bradleys physically, Adamstown couldn’t get a grip on the game. Shels battled bravely all over the field and with 1 minute left they were leading by a goal. Padraig McMahon, who had pulled off 5 fine saves in the second half, retaliated and lost his free. What was to happen in the next 30 seconds was unimaginable – the ref threw the ball up, Adamstown player caught it and fell to the ground, ref awards penalty, Colm Tynan gets straight red for being deemed to hit a player, Eric Bradley scores goal from penalty, extra time – again!
The Shels were furious, the crowd went crazy, the players withdrew to the dressing rooms to re-group. Clive Lawler was moved to full back and Derek Walsh was introduced into the forwards. Adamstown won the toss and got the wind. Adamstown scored the first point but Shels replied with a pointed free from Terry Gainfort. With Shels now dominating the backs and mid-field tiredness started to kick in for Adamstown. Derek Walsh, who was playing very well since his introduction, gave a great cross to Alan Griffith who volleyed first time and was unlucky not to get Shels a second goal. However, in his efforts to stop Adamstown from clearing the ball he made a slide tackle on a player and was sent off for a second yellow card. Same as last week, in extra time with a man down, but this time with 14 minutes left. Incredibly Shels went a point ahead and Adamstown were struggling with the wind in their backs and an extra man.
With the wind in their backs and a man down, the Shels made very good use of the ball. Adamstown were out on their feet and the Shels ran at them from all angles. Scoring one more point and with time running out, Adamstown were forced to go for a goal – and no better team to get it, or at least a penalty. But this time the Shels held out – after 30 seconds injury time, the ref blew the long whistle to great celebrations from all Shels players, back-room team and supporters.
County Semi-Final will be played next Saturday 25th Oct in Bellefield.

Shels Team
1. P. Mc Mahon
2. Mark walsh
3. Colm Tynan
4. Cathal Gaule
5. Tommy Barron
6. David Walsh
7. Ciaran O’Shaughnessy
8. Ibar Murphy
9. Clive Lawler
10. Alan griffith
11. Brian Malone
12. Colin Redmond
13. Terry Gainfort
14. Stephen Banville
15. Aidan Murphy

Garret Dunne for Colin Redmond (half time)
Derek Walsh was introduced for extra time to replace Colm Tynan who was sent off.