U16 Footballers Unlucky in Final

shels u16Great fight back fail to foil Glynn. Read a full report on the match. Aidan Cash and Alan Rossiter celebrate as Shels goal. More photo's in the gallery in U16-18 section


 The Shels U16 footballers fell at the final hurdle after a titanic battle in the second half when they were defeated by Glynn Barntown in the final played in Glynn last Sunday afternoon. The Glynn boys were 3 points up at the break, leading 1-04 to 1-01, after a fairly lack lustre first half in which Glynn registered the first goal of the game after 5 minutes. Brian Doyle opened the Shels scoring with a point and Sean Walsh followed up with the goal mid way through the half.  However Glynn finished the half strongly scoring a couple of late frees to widen the gap. Glynn started the second half in blistering fashion scoring 1-01 without reply to forge ahead by 7 points after five minutes. The Shels replied with a fine goal by Kevin O’Leary after Aiden Cashe found him with a beautiful pass and it looked as if the Shels were back in the game.  However Glynn had different ideas and the rocked the Shels scoring 2-01 without reply to move them into a 10 point lead.  The first of these goals was from the penalty spot which was very harshly awarded against Noel Mythen when it appeared he had won the ball fairly in a 50-50 challenge with his direct opponent.

All looked lost the Shels lads at this stage but true to their form they mounted a magnificent fightback in the final 15 minutes.  Alan Rossitor kick started their revival with a goal after Glynn Murphy’s initial shot was blocked by the Glynn goalkeeper. Minutes late Rossie scored again, this time a great point from out on the wing.  The Shels lads were now dominating affairs throughout the field and some fine build-up play lead to a superb goal by James Gordon.  This was quickly followed by a pointed free from Brian Doyle to leave just 3 point between the teams, 4-06 to 4-03, with 5 minutes to go.  Again Glynn pushed forward looking for a clinching score but they could find no way through a resolute Shels backline.  In the final minute of the game the Shels defence worked the ball out to the unmarked Brian Doyle on the right wing.  He took off on a tremendous solo run towards the Glynn goal and it looked as if he or one of the other Shels forwards were destined to get the equalising score.  However he was fouled just as he was about to release the ball in front of the goal and everyone thought it must be a penalty.  However the referee waved on play and Glynn counter-attacked and scored the clinching point just before the final whistle was blown.

There was some superb football played by both teams in an intensely fought game with no quarter asked or given.  It is a shame for all involved that the competition was drawn on for so long.  A gap of 13 weeks between semi-final and final for both teams is ridiculous and is makes it very difficult to promote our games.  Great credit is due to all the players involved and their parents for their commitment, time and co-operation.