Shels U14 Footballers represent Wexford in Power Cup

Congratulation to Craig McCabe, Paraic O'Leary, Screen, AJ Lehane, Galbally, Shane Bierney, Castlebridge and Glen Murphy, Arcavan who were selected to represent Wexford in the Power Cup Tournament held in Dungarvan on 13th October, 2007.


Wexford were in a difficult group with a very strong Cork team and the hosts Waterford. Their first game was against the hosts in the abbeyside grounds. Wexford got off to a good start which was halted by a injury to a Waterford player which took 10 minutes to attend to. After this Wexford tagged on the points before Waterford got a goal just before half time. However Wexford were still winning by 4 points. After the break Wexford started to break away and eventually won the game comprehensively.

In their next match they faced the favourites Cork. The Wexford team started well but as the half went on, Cork started to notch up a lead. However Wexford got a goal to keep them only 2 points behind. Unfortunately Wexford lost a key player in Naoise Dunbar at half time due to injury. Just after half time Cork got a goal and to add to Wexfords problems they lost their influential captain Colm Browne. After this Cork pulled away to finish the game with a 7 point lead with the shels boys once again contributing well to the game but coming out on the wrong side of the score line.

As Cork who had earlier beaten the Waterford team they progressed to the cup semi-final while the purple and gold men met Kerry in the shield semi-final.

The match started with a slow tempo as the boys were tired from the earlier games but it livened up after quite a few wides from both sides with Wexford taking the lead through a well worked goal and a few nice points. As the half continued Wexford started to pull away with 7 point lead at half time. Kerry came out raring to go and before long had notched up 3 points without reply. However Wexford continued scoring and with 10 minutes remaining took off some players which seemed to disrupt the Wexford flow. Kerry got a quick goal which made for a nail biting finish, Kerry seemed to find another gear and notched up a further 2 points which put the sides level while in injury time. Kerry got the deciding point after working very hard through good defence from Wexford.It was an unfortunate end to a fun day out for the boys with the Shelmalier boys playing well throughout and showing their potential. This is the final event for the boys for this year which has went very well with strong performances in the various Leinster blitz.