U21 account for Glynn/Barntown

Our U21 Footballers were tied with Glynn/Barntown just on full time, but a late goal from the assured Brian (Turf) Murphy saw Shels win 2-8 to 1-8.

Weather conditions were atrocious in Killurin, a strong whirling wind coupled with severe downpours made playing conditions difficult to say the least. Shels were playing with the strong wind for the first half and immediately set about carving up a lead. Points from Craig McCabe (3, 2F), Neal Rossiter and Graham Staples meant they had a 5 point to nothing lead before Glynn/Barntown got on the board 15 minutes into the first half. The last 15 mins of the first half was a lacklustre affair and the only score was a point just before half time from the impressive Craig McCabe. Glynn had to be the happier team going into the break after keeping Shels almost scoreless for the latter part of the game when they were enjoying huge wind advantage. Half time -06 to -01 in favour of Shels,

Conditions didn’t improve and Shels were bracing themselves for a serious fight back in the second half. However after good team work the young and hardworking Glen Malone was involved in a series of passes which put young minor Colin Cleary through. The resulting shot to the back of the net was one any senior player would have been proud of and Shels had a great 1-6 to -01 point lead. Glynn were far from done  and set about methodically and surely closing the gap. They hit 4 points without reply before the captain of the minor footballers Graham Staples notched one back for Shels. But yet again Glynn took charge and tapped over 2 more minors before a penalty was awarded which Shels net minder Sean Byrne got a finger too but was unable to fully stop from reaching the back of the net. Score was 1-7 each with 58 minutes played. Things weren’t looking the best as Glynn still had such a strong wind advantage. However Shels dug even deeper and after solid play were awarded a late free which the on form Craig McCabe duly converted. Time was up but there was a few minutes injury time to be played. Both camps were feeling the tension in this knockout game. Suddenly Shels won the ball again and set off in pursuit of the Glynn goal, Brian (Turf) Murphy collected a fantastic pass and amid all the furore on the pitch calmly side stepped his marker and blasted to the back of the net. Shels 2-8 to 1-7. Still injury time was being played and Glynn pointed to leave just 3 between the sides. However moments after the resulting kick out the referee blew up and Shels progress to the next round. Final score 2-8 to 1-8.
Team: Sean Byrne, Eoghan Fitzgerald, Simon Donohoe, Shane Griffith, Glen Malone, AJ Lehane, Neal Rossiter (0-1), James Cash, Aidan Cash (Capt), Brian Murphy (1-0), Graham Staples (0-2), Eoghan Nolan, Craig McCabe (0-5, 4F), Colin Cleary (1-0). Subs introduced: Johnny Campbell, Conor Tobin.