Victory for U16 camogie

Congratulations girls on a fantastic win with a late goal, against Castletown this evening, leaving the final score 2-7 to 3-3. 

The victory leaves them with three points from a possible four, and they will be looking to build on that encouraging start when they travel to take on Oylegate-Glenbrien next Wednesday, July 24th, at 7.30 p.m.

  We were without Larah Campbell and Róisín Walsh from the drawn game against Craanford-Monaseed one week earlier, but Sadbh McCarthy returned to the back line while Róisín Doolan replaced her namesake in the forwards.

  Niamh Walsh was in excellent form at the heart of the defence and opened our account from a ’45 in the sixth minute, but our rivals replied with a fortuitous goal via the post midway through the first-half. Another ’45 from Niamh was converted before the visitors goaled direct from a long-range free and added a quick point to lead by 2-1 to 0-2 after 15 minutes.

  However, we restricted their attack in fine style in the second quarter, with Niamh, Sarah Harding-Kenny, Chloe Mahon and Sadbh McCarthy all very solid in defence. A third pointed ’45 from Niamh left us behind at the break by 2-1 to 0-3, but it was all to play for.

  Goalkeeper Katie Lacey had to go off at half-time as she was in considerable pain after having braces fitted, and we hope she will be in good order again for the next game. Mikaela Lanigan took over between the posts with Enya Byrne coming on at corner-forward, and the team resumed on a bright note.

  Yet another ’45 was put over the bar by Niamh before Shauna Kelly equalised with a goal in the 43rd minute after her move to full-forward. This switch proved successful as Jessie Harding also prospered on the ’40, and we led by 1-6 to 2-1 at the end of the third quarter after points from Niamh Walsh (free) and Jessie.

  However, Castletown-Liam Mellows hit back with a quick-fire 1-1 to move into a two-point lead before another successful free from Niamh was cancelled from play at the other end (3-3 to 1-7). The last six minutes plus added time were very exciting, and the determination displayed by all of the girls was second to none.

  They really dug in and refused to be pushed off the ball, with the rewards coming with just over two minutes of added time left when Jessica Sinnott rattled the net with a ground stroke to give us that precious one-point lead. The staunch defending continued until the final whistle and, while it was only a second round group game, we were entitled to celebrate at the end after such a gutsy performance! Well done girls and keep up the good work!

  Team: Katie Lacey; Sadbh McCarthy, Chloe Mahon, Megan Murphy; Linzi Lanigan, Niamh Walsh (capt., 0-6, 4 ’45s, 2 frees), Sarah Harding-Kenny; Leanne Corrigan, Zoe O’Leary; Eleanor Lacey, Shauna Kelly (1-0), Jessica Sinnott (1-0); Róisín Doolan, Jessie Harding (0-1), Mikaela Lanigan. Sub. – Enya Byrne for Lacey.