Gallant Juniors give their all

teamOur junior hurlers fought to the end against Horeswoods first team today but went down 1-19 to 1-09.

Horeswood drew first blood with a point whilst Kevin O’Leary & Decky Murphy both had good clearances off the line.

John Redmond equalled the sides before Horeswood went ahead soon after. Ronan Kavanagh seen his strong pull on the ground go only inches wide, before John Redmond put Shels back level with a superb ’65.  Shels pulled ahead with an Ibar Murphy point and Decky Murphy was called on again to make another spectacular save. Horeswood drew back level after the referee had initially ruled the point wide before consulting with the umpires. Ibar Murphy pointed again after an accurate hand pass from Dessie Kehoe following a great block down from the hardworking  Cathal Gaule. Horeswood replied with a minor leaving both sides at 0-4 each. Shels seen a glimmer of hope then, when tenacious work from Ronan Kavanagh and Dessie Kehoe was rewarded with a goal with the latter firing to the back of the net. However this goal only seemed to motivate Horeswood as they hit 6 unanswered points whilst Shels only score before the break was a solitary John Redmond point and that was negated by a late point from the opposition. Half time score 1-5 to 0-11.

Shels started the brighter with Dessie Kehoe sending a lovely high ball to the towering Ronan Kavanagh who duly obliged with a point. John Redmond closed the gap to the bare minimum with a sweet ’65 conversion. Horeswood working hard to stay ahead pointed before John Redmond brought the sides yet again to the minimum. Decky Murphy was called on yet again to deal with a high, fast ball and his shot found the hard working mid fielder Denis Kelly who dispatched it out of harms way. However as in the first half Horeswood then hit 6 unanswered points and they were on top of Shels in most areas of the field. The goal that was threatening from Horeswood all day came in the 50th minute and really seemed to put any hope of recovery from the Shels firmly away. However Shels were not done and Ibar Murphy trying hard for the goal was rewarded with a late point. Shels were awarded a 21 yard free just on full time and Colin Kehoe hoping to repeat his goal from the same position in Shels last game seen his excellently hit shot parried out of harms way. The final whistle blew soon after final score 1-19 to 1-09. This team worked hard all day and had they not been up against a clubs first team would surely have been real contenders.

On the day when all played to a high standard, there was man of the match performances from John Redmond, Feargal Hynes and Seamie Harding, particularly.

Team: Declan Murphy, Feargal Hynes, Fergie Parker (C), Kevin O’Leary, Darren Malone, Colin Kehoe, Seamie Harding, Denis Kelly, John Redmond (0-5,2 ’65), Willie O’Shaughnessy, Cathal Gaule, Chris Gordon, Des Kehoe (1-), Ronan Kavanagh (0-1), Ibar Murphy (0-3). Subs Glen Murphy, Mick Kelly and Conor Tobin.