Valiant Shels Fight to the End

Our senior footballers did themselves proud against Co. holders Castletown in Belfield yesterday evening. The final score was 3-8 to 1-9  After extra time.

Senior Football Quarter Final.
The Shels Senior Footballers put up a great display against County Champions Castletown, in the quarter final in Belfield. Castletown started without the injured Anthony Masterson while Shels started without the injured James Gordon and Benny Barron and also Alan Griffith who was suspended from the previous match. Shels, playing with the wind, started brightest and went ahead by 3 points through Terry Gainfort frees. Jessie Foley goaled for Castletown after a good catch on the edge of the square. Shels then lost Derek Walsh, while Castletown lost James Homes – both through injury. Shels lost shape a little now and Castletown worked 0-4 (0-2 frees). However, Clive Lawler finished well for the Shels with a point from play. Half-time score – Castletown 1-4, Shels 0-4.
In the Second half Shels, now playing against the strong wind, upped their game considerably. Young AJ Lehane came in at mid-field and made a huge contribution. Andre O’Brien scored a point but Castletown scored  1-1. But from here on it was all the Shels. Points from Brian Doyle 0-2, Terry 0-2 (frees) put the score at 2-5 to 0-9 with 5 minutes remaining. A Stephen Banville punched goal from a cross field ball was disallowed as it was deemed a square ball. However Clive Lawler caught a great ball in the square shortly afterwards and scored a great goal to make the teams level. A Terry Gainfort line ball put Brian Malone through, but even though he was pulled down 10 yards from goal, the referee awarded a free out for holding onto the ball too long! The final whistle blew shortly afterwards – a draw, 2-6 to 1-9.
Extra time was played, 10 minutes each way. With Castletown winning the toss, they chose to play with the wind.  They worked a good goal while Shels failed to score in this period. In the second 10 minutes Shels introduced Eoin Doyle at centre forward and Craig McCabe at corner forward in the hope of getting some vital scores. However, it was Castletown who got the first point and they now defended their lead. Shels tried hard but failed to score. As time ran out, a foul on Jody O’Shaughnessy gave Castletown their final point and the game ended 3-8 to 1-9.
However, a great display by the Shels who could have toppled Castletown. Full credit to all the players who never gave up.
The Team
1.    Paudie McMahon
2.    Aidan Cash
3.    Emmet O’Leary
4.    Andre O’Brien
5.    Mark Walsh
6.    Aidan Murphy
7.    Ciaran O’Shaughnessy
8.    Brian Malone
9.    Darren Malone
10.    Brian Doyle
11.    Clive Lawler
12.    Liam Donnelly
13.    Derek Walsh
14.    Stephen Banville
15.    Terry Gainfort

Stephen Corrigan for Derek Walsh (injured)15 minutes, AJ Lehane for Darren Malone (35 mins),
Extra Time: Colm Tynan for Aidan Murphy (injured)
Extra time second half: Eoin Doyle for Colm Tynan and Craig McCabe for Stephen Corrigan (injured)