Juniors give commanding performance

hurlerShels junior team met Bannow/Ballymitty first team Sunday evening last in Piercestown.

John Redmond (F) and Ibar Murphy open Shels account. Ibar Murphy and Chris Gordon then added a point each whilst Ballymitty trying hard got 3 points in the first qtr. Ibar (hurler) Murphy then went on the rampage amassing a further 1-5 to the break whilst Ballymitty picked off their scores and got a goal just before the break to stay in touch with the Shels.1-9 to 1-6. On the resumption Bannow/Ballymitty hit 4 points without reply and were ahead by 1 before John (Foxy) Redmond converted a free and then a ’65 to bring Shels back in front. During this period, 2 days married Denis Kelly received a head injury and had to go off. Soon after, Dessie Kehoe, then had a great run up the field and he passed the ball to the waiting Ronan Kavanagh who blasted the back of the net. Bannow/Ballymitty replied with a point before Ibar Murphy was back in action, scoring 6 pts without reply. 2-17 to 1-11. Time was well up at this stage at 35 minutes gone; however play continued and Bannow/Ballymitty refusing to give up, pointed. Ronan Kavanagh was quick to reply with 2 points. At this stage after 8 min and 20 seconds had been played, disaster struck. An in rushing Bannow/Ballymitty player was deemed to have been fouled in the square and a penalty was awarded. A scuffle broke out with a Bannow/Ballymitty player being given a yellow card and Fergie Parker given a red card. Bannow/Ballymitty converted the resulting penalty and the final score was 2-19 to 2-12.
In truth whilst the scorers excelled this was one of the best all round team performances of any team this year. Decky Murphy was excellent in goal and saved the Shels on several occasions. His puck outs were accurate and led to many attacks. The full back line of John Kelly, Fergie Parker and Feargal Hynes was solid all day, and was rarely breached; the half back line of Seamie Harding, Colin Kehoe and Darren Malone was probably our most effective and hard working line on the day. Denis Kelly and John Redmond (0-3F) could do no more at mid field and they kept the ball moving extremely well. The half forward line of Chris Gordon (0-1), Ronan Kavanagh (1-2) and Willie O’Shaughnessy did their job expertly and kept a huge supply of ball to the man on form at the minute Ibar Murphy (1-13) with Ibar receiving the best of support on the full forward line from Dessie Kehoe who made the goal at a crucial time and minor Glen Murphy in staunch support also. Emmet O’Leary brought experience to the field when he came on for the injured Denis Kelly and the speedy Johnny Campbell looked dangerous in attack when introduced.
We now meet Gusserane on Friday, Sept 2nd in Taghmon at 6.30 in a back fixture. We are on 3 points with a game to play and Harriers are on 3 points having finished their games. Gusserane are on 1 pt. A draw would be sufficient to see Shels progress to the next round.