U21 Beat Faythe Harriers

kolOur U21 hurlers had a good win over Faythe Harriers Tuesday night. 0-14 to 2-5.

This is a knockout competition,  so both teams were fighting hard. First action for Shels was a good save by Brian Murphy, in 5th minute,Joe Kelly with 3 points (1F) meant shels had a 3 point lead, (6, 10 and 14 th min) before Harriers got their 1st point (f) in 17th min. Johnny Campbell with a fine shot and Joe Kelly stretched shels lead before Harriers took one back in 25min (f). A Benny Barron 65′ and James Gordon point meant we went into the break 07 to-02 ahead. Harriers pointed in the first few mins of new half, again a free, before Shels replied with Benny 65′, & a great Brian Doyle point. At this stage Harriers got thier first point from play in the 42 min. 2 further points from Joe Kelly stretched shels lead futher, one a free and and one a great pass after hard work by Benny Barron. At this stage Harriers were homing in on goal and their efforts were rewarded in 21 min with a goal and point soon after. Joe Kelly accurate again with a free (23 min) and a score from play (24 min) after Kevin O’Leary picked out the hard working Brian Tobin who sent the ball up to Shane Birney who found Joe Kelly who had made space for himself in what many felt was a crucial point of the game.  Score now 0 -13 to 1-5 at this stage. Brian Turf  Murphy had another fine save,to stave off the Harriers attack. The Harriers moved forward again for another attack where Shane Griffith mopped up and found the man on the move Joe Kelly who made no mistake to fire another over the bar( 28 min). Shels looked comfortable at this stage, 0-14 to 1-5. However Harriers were not done and a rare lapse in defence let them through for their second major of the day. Now there was just 3 between the sides.There was a small bit of handbags at the side line and in the meantime to the dismay of the crowd the ref allowed play to continue whilst the row ensued and this was a very dangerous time for shels as the Harriers homed in on goal for the 3rd time. Eventually the ref stopped game and threw the ball in 20 yards out from Shels goal, the backs mad no mistake this time and the ball was efficiently and quickly dispatched up the field. The final whistle blew after 4 anxious mintues of extra time with the Shels winners by 3 points. Playing well for the shels were Kevin O’ Leary and the half back line of Brian Tobin James Gordon and Aidan Cash and in midfield Benny Barron and in the forwards Joe Kelly and Feargal Hynes and Ronan Kavanagh.

Team: Brian Murphy, Kevin O’Leary, Conor Tobin, Shane Griffith, Aidan Cash, James Gordon (0-1), Brian Tobin, Brian Doyle (0-1), Benny Barron (0-2, 65′) Feargal Hynes, Joe Kelly (0-09, 3F), Shane Birney, Johnny Campbell (0-1), Ronan Kavanagh, Stephen Corrigan. Subs used Glen Murphy for Campbell, Paraic O’Leary for Corrigan.

They now meet either St Martins or St Anne in the semi final probably on Tuesday the 9 August as St. Martins and St. Annes meet next Tuesday night