Seniors qualify for Quarter Finals

aobbdSenior Footballers knock out County Champions and reach County Semi-Final.
In a hugely exciting, fast moving and hard hitting game of football, Shelmaliers overturned last years champions, Kilanerin, and deserved to qualify for the County Semi-Final.

Kilanerin started strongly scoring two points, one from a free, in the first five minutes. However, Shels replied with a pointed free from Colin Redmond and a point from Derek Walsh. Shels, playing with the strong wind, then pulled ahead with two points from Brian Doyle and one from Garret Dunne. Matty Forde replied with a point to leave the score at 0-5 to 0-3. With tremendous running being done by both teams and strong winds, scores were hard to come by. The result was that Shels only managed one more by Derek Walsh before half time to leave the score at 0-6 to 0-3 in favour of the Shels.
In the second half, Shels drew first blood by scoring a good point against the strong wind. Conditions got difficult as a driving rain was now in the Shels faces. Both teams battled very hard with some great tussles and controversial flare ups. The Shels were exceptional in many areas with Darren Malone and Garret Dunne gradually taking over at mid-field. However, Kilanerin never lay down and they gradually worked their way back into the game. With 6 minutes to go they were level and with 3 minutes to go they went ahead for only the second time in the game. But now the true character of the Shels showed. They raced up the field and worked an excellent point, finished by James Gordon. The Shels weren’t finished and piled on the pressure to be awarded a free 35 yards out against a strong wind. Colin Redmond obliged and pushed us one point ahead. Time was up but Kilanerin piled on the pressure. 4 minutes into injury time they were awarded a free 55 yards out from goal. With the strong wind in his back, Matty Forde didn’t even hesitate and pushed the game into 20 minutes of extra time; 0-8 each.
The Shels started strongly with the wind in their back. 0-3 to 0-1 in favour of the Shels in the first 10 minutes put them in a good position and Kilanerin were visibly tiring. Kilanerin emptied the bench but it was all the Shels now. A pointed free by Derek Walsh and an excellent point by Garret Dunne pushed the Shels into a 3 point lead with 5 minutes remaining. Kilanerin threw everything they had left at the Shels but couldn’t break them down. A late free was kicked in high but it was caught by James Gordon and then the Ref blew the final whistle. There was tremendous rejoicing as the Shels had knocked the title holders out and had booked their place, on merit, into the Semi-Finals.
The entire team played their hearts out but special mention to Andre O’Brien, David Walsh and Brian Malone (C) in defence who kept Kilanerin’s key men quiet along with Brian Doyle and Derek Walsh who were outstanding in attack. We wish Cathal Gaule and Ciaran O’Shaughnessy a speedy recovery from their ham string injuries.
The draw on Monday night placed Shels V’s St Annes at 4pm Sat 19th Sept in Wexford Park followed by Bannow V’s Horeswood in the same venue at 5.30.