Seniors lose by smallest margin

Shels senior Footballers went down to St. Annes’  in The Co. Semi final, by the smallest of margins in Wexford Park today. Final score 2-7 to 2-6.

It was a disappointing day for the Senior Footballers as they bowed out at the semi-final stage for the second year running.
St Annes started strongly but failed to score missing a free and 0-3 from play. Darren Malone then put in a great tackle on Sean Gaule which led to Stephen Banville setting up Terry Gainfort for an early goal. Shels were now dominant but two great goal chances by Colin Redmond and Stephen Banville only yielded 0-1 by Colin as both shots hit the Goalie. Colin then scored a free which put the Shels at 1-2 to 0-0 after 10 minutes. But the Shels now failed to build on this lead which allowed St Annes back into the game. Redmond Barry scored 0-2 from frees while Shels had 3 misses from play. St Annes controlled midfield and the half back line during this stage and stayed in contention with a point from play and a ’45 by Redmond Barry. Shels put two more points wide before Tommy Barron and Derek Walsh (free) scored to leave the half time score at 1-4 to 0-4 in favour of the Shels.
In the second half, Stephen Banville moved to mid-field and Alan Griffith replaced Darren Malone with Eoin Doyle replacing Aidan Murphy at centre forward. The Shels now broke even at mid-field  and upped their work rate in other areas considerably. However, some defensive errors allowed Liam Og McGovern in for a St Annes goal (1-4 each). Shels replied with points by Brian Malone and Terry Gainfort while Red Barry scored a free for St Annes. Eoin Doyle and Colin Redmond (free) pointed before another defensive error allowed Padraig O Keeffe in for St Annes second goal. Shels were now under pressure and St Annes began to dominate mid-field again. Garret Dunne then scored a great goal for the Shels after a good move through the centre (2-6 to 2-7 for Shels). Barry O’Connor now came on for Colin Redmond and then Shels missed a free in Colin’s absence. St Annes pushed hard now and then Garret Dunne got injured and had to be carried off to be replaced by Joe Kelly. Within a short space of time Tommy Barron was sent off for a second yellow card offence. David Fogarty then scored two points for St Annes to put them 0-1 ahead. Shels got one last chance from a ’45 but it dropped short. Final score St Annes 2-8, Shels 2-7.
While it was disappointing to be knocked out, credit must go to this bunch of lads who have only been senior for 2 years and have reached the semi-final both years to be beaten by a point each year.

Shels Team.
1. Padraig McMahon
2. James Gordon
3. David Walsh
4. Mark Walsh
5. Tommy Barron 0-1
6. Brian Malone 0-1
7. Andre O’Brien
8. Darren Malone
9. Garret Dunne 1-0
10.Brian Doyle
11.Aidan Murphy
12.Colin Redmond 0-2 (free)
13. Derek Walsh 0-1 (free)
14. Stephen Banville
15. Terry Gainfort 1-1

Alan Griffith for Darren Malone
Eoin Doyle (0-1) for Aidan Murphy
Barry O’Connor for Colin Redmond
Joe Kelly for Garret Dunne (inj)