St. Ibars girls star in Wexford famous victory.

Pictures of the St Ibars girls who were part of the Wexfords Gala Camogie All-Ireland victory over Cork

 Active Image   Active Image   Active Image


Congratulations to the Ibars/Shelmaliers girls All Ireland champions 2007.

         Active Image           Active Image

Sunday, September 9.

Gala All Ireland Camogie Final
Cork 1-8 Wexford 2-7
Wexford claimed their first Gala All Ireland Camogie title in 32 years with a two-point win over Cork in a thrilling game at Croke Park on Sunday.
The Rebels were hoping to annex their third title in succession, but they were undone by a poor start as the Model County stole two goals in the opening 16 minutes.
Una Leacy scored both Wexford goals as the Leinster champions raced into an early five-point lead and they remained ahead to claim the title at the death amid joyous celebrations.
Cork claimed the first score of the game in the opening minutes when Jennifer O'Leary pointed.
Surprisingly, Wexford managed a goal on four minutes when Leacy breached the Cork defence and fired a low shot to the back of the net.
The Model County tacked on a point immediately after with a point from a free. Soon after, Eimear Dillon replied for the Rebels with a brilliant point from play.
The game lulled for long periods of the first half as a ravenous Wexford side stymied the much-vaunted Cork attack.
Mary Leacy starred at centre-back for the Leinster champions as the double All-Ireland winners failed to find their rhythm in a packed forward line.
Wexford proved the early goal was no fluke as Una Leacy again burst through the Rebels' full-back line and handpassed the ball beyond Aoife Murray in the Cork goal.
After just 16 minutes, the underdogs were five points clear as Cork fired wide after wide. Wexford midfielder Kate Kelly picked off another point on 26 minutes to extend the gap and the champions were at this stage 22 first-half minutes without a score.
To counter the problem in attack, the rangy Orla Cotter was moved from full forward out to the wing and the tactic reaped immediate dividends as she capped a fine run to leave five points between the sides at the break.
Gemma O'Connor, who finished with four points from midfield for Cork, grabbed the score of the game after the break with a majestic 60-yard effort.
The Leesiders reduced the gap to two points on 37 minutes when Eimear Dillon beat her marker and drove a fine shot to the top corner of the net.
Cork reduced the deficit to a single point on 42 minutes after further scores from Angela Walsh and O'Connor.
However, that was as close as they came to the underdogs as the Model County summoned a last burst of energy and found late scores through Ursala Jacob and Katrina Purrock to establish three-point lead with minutes remaining.
Michelle Hearne had a late chance to win the game for Cork but her shot was saved by Wexford 'keeper Mags D'Arcy.